Potosi

Potosi is the world’s highest city at 4060 m above the sea level. Spaniards discovered silver here in 1545, and since then, the main industry here was silver mines. Back in the days, Potosi was the wealthiest town around. For 2 centuries, Spain owed its wealth to Potosi‘s silver. Ever since the exploitation exhausted itself, the miners are more on the poor and hard working side these days. Unfortunately, after talking to the locals, I discovered that it is the only industry in PotosĂ­ nowadays. (Because, no other industry was developed since the silver find in 16th century). Women are not allowed to work in mines as it is a bad luck, bad spirit. Men, who work here, have low life expectancy. Once they enter the mine, the average life expectancy is 15 years. Overall, over 8 million of indigenous people and African slaves died here while working in the mines in Potosi. To get a feel of the hard conditions in the mines and to make some cash, Potosi offers one of the most unforgettable trips to the mine. At first, it was fun!!!! We got into the van, changed into some funky outfits, learned about mines, silver production, etc... Then, we went into the miners market to buy them gifts such as soda, coca leaves, dynamite and 96 % alcohol beverage!!! It’s expected that when tourists descend into the mines, they bring such items. How cool is that! Anyone could buy the explosive dynamite set that only costs 20 Bolivian pesos (which is $3). We bought an extra one, so that the guide could demonstrate how that thing works! And, of course, we tested 96% alcohol thing, which was a killer! . The coca leaves used to be the privilege of the Inca’s nobility. In the mines, people chew coca leaves because it’s cheap, keeps you going, and makes you forget about the hunger. Time is money in the mines. There is no time to eat once you are under! As you descend into the mine, you start to feel lack of oxygen and shortness of breath. On top of that you have to crouch and crawl, climb and run… To say the least, at one point I stopped taking photos because I could not breathe and the panic settled inn… That was not that much fun! Then, to make it even more fun, our guide announced that he set up dynamite and we had to run!!! At that point, it was really shitty and not funny for me!!! But I made it, once more…!!! Once I got out, I felt quite nauseas and was coughing some disgusting staff out, my voice was crisp and my whole body was weak and muscles were shaking… After this experience, I really have an appreciation of all those miners who are there day and night… and I barely survived several hours…

No comments:

Post a Comment