It turned out that Arequipa is a beautiful colonial peaceful city. It really grows on you! At first, you get attacked by all the tourist offices and restaurants on every corner, which is really annoying to me. Then, something happens, and they leave you in peace and you can wonder the streets without being harassed.
My hostel in Arequipa was a gem, the best so far in Peru. It’s a family run business, the owners were very friendly and we spent many hours talking. Silvia, the owner, offered tea, soup and just a chat. I also had WiFi in the room and the plug! It’s a luxury!! Oftentimes you get one but not another! :)
In Arequipa, I really got into the artesania, or making macramé bracelets and necklaces. Across the street from my hostel, at the tourist market I met Alexandro, local artesania, who convinced me that “Yes, I can!” :) make macramé, work with stones and proposed to teach me some new techniques.
Artesania was the main reason why I stayed here for almost 2 weeks. I developed a daily routine; chat with the friendly owners and breakfast in the hostel, then "work" with Alexandro. After, I walked for 30 minutes to the Central Market, where I had delicious humongous Ceviche Mixto (5 soles or $1.50) and then walked to the juice stand to hang out with Senora Julia who made my juice and was curious about my life. After a long lunch break, I would come back to Alexandro’s store for some more lessons. Sometimes, it would get busy in the evenings, and I would help him sell the souvenirs to the tourists too.
My days here in Arequipa also coincided with the Fiesta del Patria or Independence Day of Peru. The parade and festivities were canceled due to the Swine flu. Speaking of Swine flu… I went to the Municipal Theater in Arequipa and was forced to disinfect my hands prior to the entry to the theater. All the schools were closed for 3 weeks for quarantine due to Swine flu also… Bizarre, no? By the way, the Peruvians get 3 days off plus the weekend on their independence day. So, there was lots of partying going on. It was nice to see all these people dressed up and partying like there is no tomorrow.
Here are some pics from my exciting and peaceful life in Arequipa!!!
My ceviche lady and the beautiful fruit stand.
I am here with Alexandro, the man who helped me to create these beauties :)
No comments:
Post a Comment