

They say that the first weeks of August are difficult. And August is the most difficult time of the year. In the Andes, or particular in Bolivia, they have many celebrations, mainly to try to create some positive energy. It’s interesting that when I was asking indigenous people what they were celebrating; they were not even able to tell me. All they knew that it was Fiesta del August. It seemed that every community had something different to celebrate. These are the few celebrations that I witnessed and was able to find out a little about:
August 2nd - Fiesta del Pachamama (Mother Earth) or from a different source, Fiesta Del Campesinos (Farmers) was celebrated in the north of the Isla Del Sol
August 4-6- Virgen Del Copacabana was celebrated in Copacabana. This is a little intriguing, because it’s celebrated only by Peruvians, who cross the border to see their popular virgin and to make Challa (offerings) to bless their new cars… I think … Again, there were different opinions and nobody could explain me what the hell was going on in this town.
August 6- is the day of Independence of Bolivia celebrated throughout the country
I also had witnessed numerous dancing and festivities along the way, but have no idea what was going on in those villages.
Its August 6th today, and I am in La Paz, comfortable, sitting in the nice cafĂ© in the tourist ghetto of La Paz updating my blog, while watching some amazing life concerts on flat screen TV: Madonna, Wycleff, Stevie Wonder and eating Italian Spaghetti a la Carbonara. Today I kind of needed to get away from “the real” Bolivia for a minute….
It’s because just like they say , the first days of August are uneasy. Starting with the border crossing to Bolivia, where I was abandoned by my bus company and was left alone on the border without my belongings.
Then, I was quite disappointed by the greediness of the indigenous communities in the Isla Del Sol, a very beautiful spot in the middle of the Lake Titicaca, where supposedly the Sun, the king of Incas was born. There are 3 communities in the Isla Del Sol; the south, north and one in the middle of the island. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of tourism, they each decided that they will generate more of additional income and charge ridiculous fees for crossing their parts of the island. So, as soon as you arrive on the boat in the south part, they don’t let you off until you pay extra fee. Then, if you decide to go to the north, you have to pay too. Well, the south and the north parts of the island at least have some inca ruins and museums, and you can use that ticket to visit them. Unfortunately for the community in the middle of the Isla, they have no ruins… and tourists don’t go there much. So, apparently they decided to charge tourists anyway… But how? Well, by charging them just for crossing their part of the island and using their road while going from south to north or vice versa. Also, the boat ride was more expensive when leaving the island too. When asked why, the answer was “it’s for the community”… but… I already paid for the community, didn’t I? This greediness was driving me absolutely crazy and also the idea that they treat us, visitors, likes one huge valet! Unfortunatley, the locals that I encountered there had absolutely nothing to give back to a visitor, they could not give me any information about the island or explain me anything about their holidays that they were celebrating or willing to chat…or even smile… The owners of the hostel were also quite mean and served me cold coffee every morning and yesterday’s bread for breakfast. Well, everything goes with those “rich” tourists, I guess? When asked them to hold my big backpack for a day while visiting the north part of the island, the witch wanted to charge me as well.
Even their children are mean and greedy. Once, my new travel friends invited me to hang out in their hostel. When I was leaving that hostel, one little bitch-child wanted to charge me for visiting that hostel. I asked why? She looked angry and said “did you use the bathroom there?” Really, I’ve never experienced such unfriendliness and pure greed in all my years of travels!!!! To top it off, after leaving the Isla, I spent another night and the day and a half in Copacabana during the madness in the midst of the Virgen Del Copacabana festivities. Usually being the magnet for hippies and expats, the place was impossible, the crowds are intolerable, with all the streets filed with farmers selling anything from guns to popcorn! One huge mess!!! I knew I had to get out of there!
Not so easy either. 15 minutes before my bus was leaving to La Paz, I was in the main street, very alert and walking towards the coast to take the last pictures of the Lake Titicaca. All of a sudden the crowd became even denser, and the next thing I know, the big pop corn bag is in my face, and I felt a strong push. Being a Scorpio, I had to give back and I pushed back really hard with my elbows. Then the crowd suddenly disappeared. I knew something was fishy. Then, I noticed that my bag was cut through with the knife. Shit, I knew I needed to get the hell out of there, forget about pictures and I went to my hostel to recompose myself, not yet knowing if the bustards were able to get away with anything. I guess, I was lucky, and I did not lose anything. I was really happy to be out of that area. My bus was leaving in 10 minutes!!! And the truth is, the Isla must be an amazing place, I just had some real bad luck there :((
The following photos are from the madness of Copacabana. The cars are decorated and the offerings are made such as alcohol, flowers, money, etc...
Zhen'ka, chitayu vse podryad - nachitat'sya ne mogu. Mozhno davat' chuzhim lyudyam ssylku na tvoi blog?
ReplyDelete- Natasha