La Paloma y Cabo Polonia, Uruguay

Finally, .. I am travelling again!!! The last few days of Bueno Aires felt a little heavy; same faces, same food that i was eating, I started to gain bad habits of eating late, hanging out till 4 am and taking my showers at 12, etc..... In addition, I felt like I was a "bad tourist"... not doing many cultural and touristic things... By the way, I did more cultural staff than any of my new, young and lazy party friends! :)
On the way to Uruguay... I was just soo ready!!! To be fair, Buenos Aires is hard to leave behind, so I am almost posititve that I will be back in a month or 2... as long as I could justify it.. And I found the reason.. its mainly TANGO! So the plan is to travel to Uruguay and the coast of Brazil, then North of Chile and to come back soon and dedicate myself to Tango for 2 weeks, and then move on with my travels.. and go North of Argentina, Bolivia , Peru, etc...!
For now, I am traveling with Marina, the girl from Portugal... the match "made in heaven" :)... We are similar in many ways, and so far so good... She likes to cook, I do the dishes.. She likes the bottom bank bed, I like the top one, etc.... We both like the Latin Music.... and the beach!
First stop, La Paloma, the small hip beach town ... The hostel is amazing.. When we asked the owner of the hostel, Ricardo, for the directions to the supermarket, he drove us there, waited for is to shop and drove us back! Great breakfast, there are many locals that are always around and its right on the beach... The best part is that we are only a few here... (bad for business... but still ...). One day the Ricardo invited us to go on the ride in his truck to the Laguna Rocha... to show us around... So, he took us all, all of his 5 guests, in his truck... I got to ride in the back of the open truck...! Yeah!! We got to the laguna fine... a very beautiful spot! On the way back, we got stock on the dirt road... and spent 2 hours pushing, lifting the truck, putting boards under the wheel, getting mud in our faces and all over clothes, etc... all that while giggling and taking pictures :). Ricardo was not laughing though... and seemed not to notice that we found it amuzing! Well, we would have never managed it if we would not get help from 2 lovely cowboys... All of the toursits were pretty useless!! Great times at La Paloma!!! But, the the weather was turning for the worse, got windy and quite chilly... not the beach weather! As well, as all the co-owners came back and were stressing out and preparing for one of the busiest week of the year Semana Santa, Easter Week or in Uruguya they call it, Semana del Toursimo. Apparently, the people in Uruguay, for many years now becoming less and less religious. So the wholy Easter days :) turned into a week when everybody is travelling to the beach! Children have a week off as well as some companies, and the whole country is closed by Wednedsday.... the stores, the market, emabasies, etc... Montovideo, the capital seemed like the ghost town when we passed through it! So, Marina and I decided to move on and go to Cabo Polonia, which is only 1 hour away... Its a truly special place... Sometimes I thought I was dreaming... the breathtaking landscape of dark blue skies and yellow curvy sand dunes ! This village has a little hippie community, so the people choose this lifestyle, and its protected, no cars allowed.. So, from the main road where the bus drops you off, we had to board these huge trucks to get there!!! What a fun ride in the truck over the sand dunes!!! There is no electricity and sinks had no cranes with running water. We had to get the water from the well... with buckets! There is a trick to it: when you throw the bucket, you need to throw it upside down!! I learned it only after many unsuccessful attempts to get water and some guy's good will to help out the city girl :)). Our diet was mainly consisting of fresh salads and fresh shrimps (shrimps were $4 per kilo), that we boiled and ate on the sand right in front of our cabana... Not bad at all!!! Who knows? Maybe, Cabo impressed me so much because it was a totally new scenery for me. I had never been in the sand dunes before. I really enjoyed climbing them and then running down to the ocean from it. Some sands were soft, and as you walk up to the knee in sand, it feels warm and sureal!!! Who knew that such a little, mainly unknown to the tourists country had to offer soo many unforgetable places!!! By the way, Cabo Polonia is not in the Lonely Planet yet....Shhh... Lets keep it a secret! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment