My last days in Bolivia

Once again, I decided to come back to La Paz. Feeling a little sad about separating with another new friend, Marcel, the guy from Germany. Luckily, soon after, when the bus stopped for its first rest stop, I met another "new friend", Joanne. Joanne is a 35 year old woman, who started to travel when she was 19, and on and off, and is still traveling! Of course, we had an immediate connection!! Besides, we were the only foreigners in that bus. Despite having a new friend, this bus ride did not go as smoothly. We almost turned over on one side, and then had a flat tire. We started the trip in the jungles where it was impossibly hot (summer), then at night when we were approaching La Paz it became really cold (winter-like). And to top it off, the men who was sitting behind me was vomiting through the open window. My worst bus trip so far, I think… but it’s an adventure. I brought Joanna to my hostel, where it happened that the other 2 girls I knew were staying too. This was my last visit n La Paz during this trip. So, I went a bit crazy with the shopping paradise here. I also realized that despite of everything, I will miss Bolivia and I was getting really sad. I was feeling sad leaving all the Bolivian chaos. I will miss all the street food, cheap (30-cents) fresh juices from exotic fruits on every corner, lack of supermarkets, heavy traffic with no traffic lights, where u just have to close your eye when you cross the street, I will miss observing men pushing young or old women out of the way when getting on the bus and its being absolutely normal behavior... etc. My last day I wanted to spend an afternoon alone in La Paz and finally be a tourist and take some pictures. It was great to just finally leave my cozy but touristy neighborhood and just observe regular Pacenos (people from La Paz) going about their business. I had saltena (meat empanada) with tumbo juice (my new favorite fruit that I discovered in Bolivia). Then I went to the old part of town (for the first time). I noticed there were unusually lots of people all around. People were very friendly. Then I walked through the main plaza, Plaza Murillo, where there was a stage set up right in the middle. Apparently, there was about to begin some sort of celebration. I was not going to skip that. I was also hoping to see Evo Morales, since it was all happening right in front of his office. As, I mentioned it before, there are various celebrations in Bolivia in the month of August. This was a celebration of the dance La Diablada that is originated in Oruro, Bolivia. Apparently, recently the government of Peru announced that La Diablada is the dance that originated in Peru. SOOO, this party was all about proving those Peruvians wrong. (There is a long history of hostility between these 2 countries). Politics aside, this was a beautiful event, lots of dancing, beautiful costumes and masks, fireworks, happy (not-drunk) people all around, families, and I even got to see the vice president of Bolivia, who was watching the whole show on the tribune nearby. Well, Evo did not show up that evening… I also met the Bolivian mother, Kathy and teenage daughter, Gabriella, who were so sweet and helped me understand many things as the parade was happening. In the end they gave me a gift, the Bolivian flag. I was really happy to have met them and receive the gift from them!!! . My expereinces in Bolivia were not always smooth. There is nothing for free in Bolivia, you even have to buy your own toilet paper when staying on hostels!!! I could not believe that finally, on my last day in Bolivia, I was able to see some traditional folkloric dancing. It’s very strange, because, so many times during my stay in Bolivia, I planned to be in certain places for celebrations that turned out to be one big drunken and pissing fest. And today, I just happened to witness the most beautiful traditional show. And also, one of my complains throughout the time of Bolivia, was that generally people are very distant and not friendly. Last night in Bolivia I was so lucky to meet this beautiful family, who were not only friendly, but also presented me with a little gift. Bolivia was very generous with me on my last day and I will keep only great memories!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment